Won't rev past 1500, running rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't rev past 1500, running rough

Well, I'm an idiot. I was doing my routine annual compression test. Normally I was doing it at normal throttle. I figured it was better to do it at WOT. Compression was great across the board.
    BUT....when I went to start it I forgot to connect throttle and set back to idle and it revved to the moon. I tried to shut it off as quickly as possible but it was nasty. When I started it up it idles but fights to run above 1500 and misses. Running perfect before this.
    Did a reed valve let go? What would be hurt revving very high in neutral?

I re-did the compression test and it's the same as it was.
    It's an 89 200hp

RODBOLT, please help!
    Last edited by BQUICK; 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM.

Problem solved! When I slammed the throttle back by hand it broke the plastic spark pickup linkage connector. So....I wasn't getting any spark advance. Put another one on and runs great again.
    Good for reference in case it happens to someone else.......

Comment

At least you now know engine accelerates very well, very fast and your heart can pump almost as fast. You were lucky but I'm glad all is well with you and the engine.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

while your looking at plastic parts, carefully inspect the plastic clip on the oil pump rod.
        its amazing how fast an engine can start
        I have a customer with an F100 and twin lever morse controls.
        the throttle is set up backwards.
        all the way fwd is idle.
        dont ask how I figgured it out the first time.
        but an F100 can start at about 6000 RPM .

Comment

Man, that's great!..That would have scared the heck out of me!...Wonder when an engine "runs-away" in neutral at WOT like that what is the most likely component to fail?...piston, crank bearing, other???

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
            Man, that's great!..That would have scared the heck out of me!...Wonder when an engine "runs-away" in neutral at WOT like that what is the most likely component to fail?...piston, crank bearing, other???
            The operators heart

Comment

Originally posted by marinermikes View Post
              The operators heart
              Man, I can believe that!!!

Comment

Yeah, and I don't think the rev limiter can catch a 2 stroke when it revs up that quickly. I thought reed valve because years ago with a 50 Merc similar thing happened and it ran like crap afterwards and part of a reed snapped off. The reeds should just go up against the stops but I guess the rate at which they do that could make a difference. For not being real high performance motors, Yamaha 2 stroke are pretty tough.

Comment

Working...
                X