90 ProV 150 lower unit help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 ProV 150 lower unit help needed

need to chg the oil in the lower unit, no idea where to start or what to use. any online references/info on how to do this?

appreciate any/all help

mike

Mike,
    Pretty simple, really. There is a drain plug (screw) at the bottom of the lower unit and a oil level plug close to the cavitation plate that will read "oil level" in the housing.
    Use an oil drain pan to catch the oil. Tilt the motor at about 30 degrees. Remove the lower plug - use a slotted screwdriver and one big enough to get a good fit. Now remove the top plug and allow all of the oil to drain.
    Look for any signs of water intrusion into the lower unit. If motor has set up for any length of time, say a few weeks or more, then any water should be at the bottom of the oil. If the oil is milky - then you have lower unit leak somewhere and need to get fixed.
    After draining all oil, lower motor to vertical position. Use a quality lower unit oil for refill - gonna take about a quart. Best to use a pump that will screw into the lower unit hole. I bought mine at Academy and was designated specially for Yamaha fitting. Pump until oil comes out the oil level hole at the top. Re-insert top plug. Remove pump hose from lower plug hole and quickly screw in lower plug.
    That's it. You want both plugs (screws) snug, but not overtight - you are dealing with aluminum threads.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

thanks ken, I'm on it tomorrow morning

Comment

Working...
      X