Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha F6 water pump, what did I mess up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F6 water pump, what did I mess up?

I repaired the water pump last week on my F6 / 4 stroke for the first time, the repair seemed to go ok and when I was done everything seems to work properly but I ran it on the water over the weekend and now there's a problem with reverse. Forward and neutral work fine and reverse works but once I go past idle speed I get a bad grinding sound, loss of traction, and obvious vibration.

I assume I either damaged or mis adjusted the shift control linkage when I was taking off or re-installing the lower unit. Everything looks visibly ok so wondering what I need to do.

The only difficulty I had with the repair was I had trouble getting that retainer nut off the sift linkage but once I put it in reverse I had enough room to get it off. I assume I either under tightened it or over tightened that nut but not really sure how I'd know where it should be. If I recall properly I think it's almost all the way to the bottom of the threads.

The only other thing I can think of is when I was putting the drive shaft back into the engine I don't recall if I had the shift lever in neutral or reverse and don't know if that would matter.

Am I FUBAR ? The boat is in the garage so I can take pix if that helps.

Probably don't have shift shaft coupler properly installed.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sort of what I figured, I plan to take a look over the weekend and will report back if I have any further questions. It seemed pretty straight forward and when I got done everything looked like it was when I started so can't imagine how I goofed that one up.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response but I never got around to fixing the shift coupler during the season so I'm planning another attempt to fix it now that the boat is back in the garage.

Do I need to make sure the motor gears AND the shift position are in the neutral position when making the connection with the coupler?

The coupler connection looks fine and the motor works well in both forward and neutral but I can only run in reverse at low RPM's before it pops (actaully grinds) out of gear. (Can't wait to see what my lower unit oil looks like...)

Comment

Yes will need to put both gearcase and shifter in neutral
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I find it easier to do it with both in rev.
            you will need to rotate the prop when shifting into rev to make sure its fully engaged.
            doesnt matter which gear your in its an acess issue for me.

Comment

Working...
            X