Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down to the short block....but its sat for a while

Hello All,

New to this forum and tackling my first powerhead overhaul. I have a '89 200 Hp Yam 2.6L 90 degree V6.

This motor was rebuilt before I bought the boat. It ran very well for two seasons and then the head gasket failed (one bank). Before the head gasket failed the motor was overheating (for obvious reasons) but with the help of the local Yam mechanic we discovered other reasons for the overheat and so the motor took in water some water as I ran it after making other repairs. The middle cylinder on one bank took in water and now I have the following situation.

Current situation:
    >Powerhead is stripped down to the block (heads off, bare bones)
    >The head that was leaking will need to be replaced, the other head is 50:50.
    >The rings on a few cylinders and the cage bearings on two con rods are keeping the crank from turning. I sprayed copious amounts of penetrating oil.

Question....what is standard operating proceedure to free up the crank and get to a point to make a decission on proceeding any further? I seem to remember a mechanic saying something about soaking the block to salvage the powerhead.

All comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

MZM

most likly will be cheaper to find a remanned powerhead.
    typically the water damage you describe will destroy the crank and the rods.

Comment

Remove the crankshaft to see if it is even reuseable.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
      X