Leave gas connected to Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave gas connected to Motor

Manual for my new T9.9 indicates to unplug the fuel tube each time the engine is tilted out of the water. I am concerned the connectors will get dirty. What do you all normally do?

GF

GF,
    I'm gonna guess at this one - the manual probably recommends a disconnect to prevent pressurized fuel from flowing past the float valve in the carburetor. This would more easily occur when the motor is tilted up.
    To prevent this, just leave the fuel tank vented - leave the vent knob open a little to prevent pressure buildup - and leave your fuel line connected.
    Again I'm guessing - maybe another forum member has some other thoughts on this.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Hey Ken,

That would be my guess also ..... then again, why would one want to close the vent on an outboard tank anyway?

I accidentaly closed the vent on a tank once ..... motor ran for about 5 minutes and then quit. Took me foever to figure out why my motor wouldn't run until I noticed the sides of the tank "sucked" in

It was during a bass tournament and cost me about an hour of prime fishing time :-(

Comment

Ken is right, the old metal Yamaha gas tanks would pressurize and force float valve in carb open and fill oil pan with gas. They vented through a check valve at fuel fitting on tank.If you have one of the Yamaha metal tanks I recondmend you replace the original gas cap with a Tempo brand vented gas cap, it will fit that tank and works a lot better.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Anybody know where I can get two of these vented gas caps for my 20 year old metal yamaha tanks???
          tuckerboy

Comment

Go to your local marine dealer, they should be able to help.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Portable tanks?

If it was me I would ditch the 20 year old tanks and get new, fresh, clean corrosion free ones. Might save you a lot of trouble.
              Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
              16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

Working...
              X