Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke torque help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke torque help

Want to get on water this weekend. Bought this motor and the rocker assembly stud was loose. It was also rounded off. Filed it down to 3/8 so I could use it, but do not know torque setting to head. Any help welcomed. itching to fire it up and get it wet. 2000 F4LMH. Boy, the valve lash settings are hard to set at least for me. Very touchy.

No hurry here everyone, woke up and the weather has gone to the devil. 60% chance of rain.

Comment

10.8 ft lbs first torque, 22 ft lbs second torque 8mm head bolts.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you. I am only tightning exhaust rocker assembly stud. Why the two tightning sequence? I could see if several bolts or studs were tightning down a single piece the need for 2 tightning rounds.

Will go with your advice and info. As stated before, I filled the 10mm stud nut that was rounded off down to 3/8". Will that slight loss of surface area to head make much difference as far as surface tension to hold it in place? JUST REREAD YOUR POST. I WILL HAVE TO GO BACK AND SEE IF IT WAS AN 8MM. 63 YEAR OLD BRAIN THOUGHT IT WAS A 10MM. Suffer from sometimers. Well, I have something to tinker with tonight, as it is to cool to walk.

Thank you again. Will let all know how it runs.
        Last edited by larsen.d; 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

That is the torque of head bolts, there is no specific torque for rocker arm just use general torque.
          M6 bolt= 5.8 ft lbs
          M8 bolt= 13 ft lbs
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you once again. I did just as you said the first time around. New to outboards, but have been adjusting vw bug valves by feel for 41 years, since first bought car. Never a problem.

Great bunch of people here. Enjoy reading different posts.

Comment

Working...
            X