loss of propulsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of propulsion

Any help/advice before I start pulling the engine apart would be greatfully appreciated.
    1984 Yamaha 6G8 9.9HP fourstroke on remotes.

I slowly approached a beach at crawling speed, pulled back into neutral and then engaged reverse - no untoward sounds as gear engaged - killed the forward speed with a short blast and back into neutral. Nothing submerged hit - soft sandy beach with a deep water approach.
    An hour later restarted engine first turn of key, and presto - no gears at all. Prop spins freely and locking nut and split pin still intact. There was no propulsion at all as it sounded as though no gears were being selected.

Any clues welcome -
    Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a gear shift/linkeage issue. Maybe drop the lower unit and check shifter linkeage.

Comment

Thank you Robert - that sounds like tomorrows job.

Comment

I believe the early models did not come with a stainless steel shift shaft, so yours probably rusted to the point that it has come apart. Just a guess

Comment

Will check that out - thanks.

Comment

Got it sorted - thanks for all the suggestions. The remotes are attached to a gear lever arm in the engine that by pulling or pushing the remote control lever in the boat ****pit changes gear from reverse to forward thrust - the remote cable is attached with a black plastic arm with a hole that goes over a stainless steel pin and held in place with a sleeved clip - the sleeved clip had vibrated loose, moved backward and the plastic arm detached from the pin and no more gears. 20 minute job, cable tie to ensure it never happens again and I'm a happy man.

Comment

Working...
            X