Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX-66 oil & overheat alams..testing?

Hi,I just found this board.

Should I hear one beep out of the warning system/s when I just turn the key on? If so, which one is making the sound...oil or overheat?

How do you test the audible warning buzzers for 1)low oil and 2) overheating conditions? For some reason, at one time I thought when the key was just turned on you heard one of the alarms buzz one time? Thanks

No the alarm does not sound when key is turned on, if you Yamaha digital gauge then the warning lights will all flash when key is turned on. You can check oil warning by removing the water trap hose off of bottom of engine oil tank and drain oil below the lower line on oil tank, the overheat can be checked by disconnecting temp sensor's and ground the pink wire the alarm should sound and light on gauge will light up when key is on.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Capt John,
      Yeah, it bothers me that the alarm does not momentarily sound when the ignition is turned on with the Yamaha motors.
      When an overheat or low oil condition occurs, the motor goes into rpm reduction mode (at least it does for overheat) and I guess Yamaha figures if the alarm fails, then the motor shaking violently will get your attention.
      Someday, when I have nothing better to do, I will design a simple circuit that can be retrofitted to the Yamaha motors that will test the alarm when ignition is first turned on.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Ken, you may want to tinker with a dual switch as what i heard from here, those are only the ones that beep.I never realized it as i have a pair on one hull and a single on another, i thought the buzzer was just bad on the single.Maybe separate a dual switch and see if you get the results.

Comment

Working...
        X