1989 225 Excel Carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 225 Excel Carburetors

Just had my local Yamaha dealer rebuild my carbs and replace the fuel pumps on my 1989 225 Excel in November 2011 and seemed to run fine afterward. Today when I started the engine on the hose, it is running very rough and is blowing gasoline and oil out the exhaust in the center of the prop. When I checked the spark plugs all were very wet with gasoline. Does this sound like stuck needle valves in the carbs? I was hoping to mitigate any ethanol issues with the new carb kits, maybe I didn't. Any thoughts?

does your model have the A&B solinoids on the upper fuel pump?

Comment

I cannot remember seeing a solenoid valve near either of the fuel pumps.

Comment

Could be carbs flooding over, remove air silencer and pump primer bulb to see if flooding, could be fuel pump diaphrams ruptured.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I had thought about that too, there were two new fuel pumps were installed when the carbs were rebuilt. I have ordered a carb kit and will remove the silencer and check for flooding prior to removing the carbs.

Comment

Finally checked the carbs and found the one on the bottom was leaking lots of fuel through the throttle bores and out passage ways at the top of the carb body when pumping the primer bulb. There was no trash or sediment in the bowls or in the seat area of the needle valves, needle valves showed no sign of deterioration. The only thing I noticed was it seemed the floats were set high which could have caused the flooding, there was no "Ah-Ha" moment. The lower carb was removed, disassembled, cleaned, and a new kit installed. All spark plugs were replaced, engine was started up on new fresh ethanol free premium fuel and now runs great and no fuel leaks, primer bulb stays firm.

Comment

Working...
            X