2012 4.2L F250 Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 4.2L F250 Oil Change

I'm confused. The owner's manual says I've got to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube but the on-line videos I've seen show a drain plug under the cowling. Which is correct??

I believe that sucking the oil out is preferred by some folks, since the drain plug threads have been known to cross-thread and/or strip out. If you use the drain plug then take care replacing it and not cross-thread or over-tighten. That's all I know about it. Good Luck!

Comment

You have to remove starboard side apron to gain access to drain plug.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I believe that sucking the oil out through the dipstick hole is an entirely acceptable alternative, and is used by quite a few folks, depending on the model and drain plug location and accessibility. Probably a good idea to run the engine until warm and "stir up" any sludge or particles prior to sucking or draining method.

Comment

Originally posted by captainbob View Post
          I'm confused. The owner's manual says I've got to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube but the on-line videos I've seen show a drain plug under the cowling. Which is correct??
          Either way will work. I suck mine out, works great and there is no mess.

Comment

Thanks

I guess I'll use the suck out method as it clearly has an advantage over the other as it can be done while the boat is in the water. Just surprised that the owner's manual doesn't even mention the oil drain plug method.

Comment

the less amount of fasteners I have to touch equals the less amount I have to drill,tap or heli coil.
              sucking it out is simply faster with less mess.
              and zero potential to take out a thread.

Comment

Working...
              X