F90 Fast Idle/Stuck in Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F90 Fast Idle/Stuck in Gear

Fishing in the Gulf last Saturday. Started at 730AM, Engine got progressively harder to shift as the day went on. Due to wind and current the motor wasn't shut off at any time. At about 1230PM, the motor stuck in forward at 2000 RPM. It would run fine up to 5500. I didn't try to go any faster. Could not throttle down to below 2000 and the control lever was stuck hard below 2000. We headed back in about 12 miles with no problems just couldn't move the shifting lever under 2000 RPM or back to neutral. Got back to the dock and shut the engine off for about two minutes. Restarted the engine and everything worked perfectly. Was afraid to try this while offshore in case it left us stranded. 14 months ago had a similar problem and had to replace fuel lines and all filters including the VST. Problem was due to non-ethanol resistant fuel lines. As the engine ran fine from 2000 to 5500 I don't think its the fuel/filters or VST. I don't know where to start looking and am afraid to go offshore until the problem is solved. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FLCoyote

Need to check throttle cable and linkage on motor to see if binding or something loose, if have a 703 side mount contriol box then neutral lock behind shift lever to see if broken.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Turned out to be two broken wires to the IAC valve. Couldn't have done anything to prevent it. Mechanic said it was the forth F90 he had seen this problem on. Anyway it was only $170 for repair and I was expecting much worse. Problem was totally electronic.

FLCoyote

Comment

Man, $170!...that's pretty sweet, compared to what it Could have been$$$
        Glad it's fixed before you head back out in the Gulf!

Comment

Working...
        X