1988 Yamaha 30 hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Yamaha 30 hp

I purchased a 30 LG 6J8 1988 Yamaha 30 hp that was primarily operated at 2000' elevation and pushed a 14' Lund @ 35 mph. Prop is 9 7/8 X13. Gas sat in carbs for 3 yrs., & needed cleaning. Now idles great, smooth mid-range and good in the mains until half throttle. From half to full motor 4-strokes & will not pull over 25 mph. I originally thought too rich as I'm at 5000' elevation. Have operated boats here for 30 years & always a little sluggish because of altitude but never a 4-stroke issue. Originally thought needed to re-jet mains but now thinking maybe a bad rev-limiter, if it has one. Friend had same issue on an '89 Force, changed limiter and got his rpm back. I know from the sound of this triple that I'm no way near over-rev. The more throttle I give it from half to full wants to lose even more rpm. My other question is if it were actually starving for fuel would it 4-stroke? The mains are really stuck in the carb but I ran a lot of carb cleaner through them for several hours and blew them out, even though I didn't remove them. Same with pilots but carb cleaner seemed to run right thru. Motor now on 14' Valco, lighter than the Lund. Any thoughts? Capt. Phil

Run a compression test and check for spark on all cylinders, try pumping primer bulb and or bumping choke to see if helps or hurts it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working?

hey , i was wondering if you had gotten that motor running good and if not what were you planning on doing with it ? If you would perhaps be looking to sell would you mind sending me an email back ? puma.808@hotmail.com
      Last edited by Pascal123; 04-17-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

poss fuel restriction

below the intake of fuel pump install a clear hose and T in a vacum guage..over inches 3' means a restriction and lots of air bubbles means a leak some where....K&T

Comment

Working...
        X