1987 Yamaha 4 SH outboard troubleshoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Yamaha 4 SH outboard troubleshoot

I have a 4hp outboard which always started fine. The last time I took it out it fired but took more pulls and time than usual.Once it fired it ran good, I was drift fishing and shut off and started the engine numerous times without any problems.I tried to start the engine before I took it out again but can't get it to fire.I changed the plug but that didn't help.I'm guessing that I'm not getting fuel to the plug, can someone tell me some troubleshooting or basic things I can do before i take it to a mechanic.Maybe the filters are clogged but I don't know where they are on this engine.Any help will be extremely appreciated.

The fuel passeges in this carburetor are very small and it only takes a minute particle to plug up the system. See if fuel is coming from the fuel tank to the carburetor bowl by removing the small screw and gasket from the fuel bowl using the access hole in the bottom of the cowling. Turn the fuel on. Fuel should drain out the hole, turn the fuel off and the fuel should stop flowing. Hopefully you will have fuel there. Replace plug and gasket. Put the engine in a barrel of water or hook up the muffs. Remove the plastic cover from the front of the carburetor. Make sure choke is not covering carburetor barrel. Spray or squirt a little mixed fuel into the carburetor. With the throttle partially open and in neutral, pull the starter rope. If it fires you now your problem is in the fuel system. If this is the case, remove the carburetor, and clean internals using compressed air to blow out any passages. I would also install one of those small inline fuel filters available, at most lawn mower repair shops, in the line from the fuel tank to the carburetor.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate your comments

Comment

Working...
      X