90 HP Yam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 HP Yam

My son just bought a center console with 2004 90HP. No model numbers yet, will have all that tonight. How can I find about any factory upgrades and changes that were made. Also, any recommended mods we should make to avoid any future problems? He's financing it and will have it for awhile. Great crabbing boat. He didn't get an engine or boat survey though, dumb kid.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

No not any problems with the 2 stroke 90's, there pretty tough engines.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

If it's a 90HP 2 stroke, then pretty darn bulletproof, I've had a 90C since new in 1999 and never a problem....Install a fuel/water separater type filter(Walmart $27), best preventive maintenance item yet. Good Luck!

Comment

Mr. Graham I believe I've read that yours in a premix model. This one has an oiler that looks pretty simple in that it doesn't have a remote tank. Just the usual stuff to do to a used motor with no maintenance history?? Change fuel pump, stat, water pump, PRV. Anything else?? Boats.net please advise part number for the Yam shop manual. Thanks Gents.

Comment

Yep, mine's a premix, but your oil injection shouldn't give you any trouble. Clean, fresh, stabilized fuel is a key to these motor's running and reliability, so use Stabil in your gas, install that fuel/water separater, learn to drain carbs(brass hex drain screw on bottom/side of each float bowl), a few times a year and especially for extended shut-downs. Maybe buy a Yamaha Manual to learn and get the satisfaction and convenience of doing most of your maintenance or repairs. Good Luck!

Comment

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

Would not hurt to change lower unit lub
            and drain/clean oil tank to make sure no water or sludge is in there,
            Check alarms to make sure they funtion
            Last edited by 99yam40; 08-14-2012, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

Check alarms to make sure they funtion
              Yea, that's a bit of a problem. Yamaha gauges were not used. Seapro used their gauges so no alarms. Will the motor go into the safe mode in low oil or overheat situation? Also, speedometer does not work. Is that as simple as cuting ziptie on sending hose and sucking out debris, sludge that got sucked in?

Comment

Should be a black rubber plug/temperature alarm near top starboard side of cylinder head. You can ground that pink wire with switch on to test alarm buzzer.

Comment

Working...
                X