No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power

I purchased a 2007 G3 with a 50 hp yamaha about 3 months ago. Boat had about 5 hrs on it due to the previous owner passing away. It was always sluggish on take off but would tach up. This weekend I was out *****ing and when I got ready to come back in the motor stalled and died out. Starts right back up and idles smooth however when I throttle down it acts as if its flooding and dies I can work the throttle for a few minutes and it will pick up but only runs half throttle. I did replace all the gas with new fuel and checks all the connections for leaks with no luck. The motor now only has 10 hrs. Any ideals what I can check before having to take to the dealer for repairs.

You didn't say model number of motor is but may need to clean carbs or fuel injection system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

No power

Not sure about the model number I will have to look tonight I do know its a 3 cylinder carb engine.

Comment

Check compression, as you probably have been running it lean on 1 or more cylinders ( not running properly) and may have hurt pistons/cylinders already.

Then pull and clean carbs and adjust like service manual says if compression turns out OK

Comment

No Power

Each cylinder checked out @ 120psi Will find a service manual and go into the carb's

Comment

Just for giggles try running it with the cowl off. It doesn't happen often but the CDI's do fail especialy the ones with the timing arm. They some times fail when they get warm so running with the cowl off helps keep it cooler.
            Not saying that's the problem for sure but it's easy enough to try and doesn't cost a thing to try.

Comment

Working...
            X