F150 - Stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 - Stalling

I monitor this site continually to learn as much as I can about my F150 so I am aware of fuel and fuel filter issues. I "suspect" a fuel issue but I frankly just don't have time to fool with it so it will go to the dealer. What I want to know is if I am doing something wrong or can I do something better.

Issue: 2011 F150 bought new on new boat spring of 2011 - approximately 50 to 60 hours - winter serviced by dealer last fall (32 hrs) including new Yamaha water separating fuel filter - have put about 90 gallons of e10 fuel through the engine this season - always treated with Yamalube and Stabil Marine at each refueling. During the summer the boat is stored in the water with the engine all the way up to keep lower unit out of water. I often operate the boat for a long weekend and then do not return to it for a month. It was used extensively from 6/30 thru 7/18 and then I left the lake until today. Started the motor and warmed up as usual but when I accelerated to get on plane the motor bogged down and stalled. It would start but not take power. Used the *****ing motor to return to my dock and let the motor sit for awhile. Restarted fine and idled fine but when I revved it to 2k rpm out of gear it ran for short while and then stalled. I have repeated this sequence twice with the same results and am assuming a fuel restriction issue. Fuel in on-engine fuel filter looks good, no water obvious, no alarms, fuel line bulb nice and firm.

Is it possible that storing the engine in the full up position drains fuel from somewhere in the system and then the remainder dries out and is causing this problem? Perhaps in the injectors or the VST valve or even the fuel pumps?

An inquiring mind would like to know.

welcom to the EPA mandate.
    otherwise kown AS the US govt marine technician stimulous program.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      welcom to the EPA mandate.
      otherwise kown AS the US govt marine technician stimulous program.
      Funny, but that is exactly what I said to my wife as we were driving out to dinner this evening - but then, I was quoting you - that I read on other posts.

So, you really think that fresh e10 (i.e. about 20 days old obtained from a very busy gas station) is the culprit?? Was leaving the motor in the up position a possible cause? What the hell do I do? I guess I could drive to the 40 miles to an airport and pick up non-e10 gas - damn gov'ment.

Comment

airport fuel will most likly be the wrong octane.
        ethanol corrodes,or rather aids in the corrosion, of steel,rubber,aluminium and copper.
        guess what your fuel system is made of?

Comment

Yea, but rodbolt, listen to what you are saying. These are brand new motors, designed post ethanol introduction, and really should be able to handle the stuff, at least until it turns over.

I have to also consider that there is a Suzuki DF50 on my pontoon boat sitting beside my F150 and it was fueled in May and continues to run flawlessly on the same fuel (and the motor is also stored full up.)

I guess I am getting cranky so I should just tow the thing down to the ramp put it on the trailer and take it to the dealer until I return for Labor Day. Look on the bright side - there are sure a lot of bass in this lake that will live more peacefully until I return. ...... But my drive back to NJ will certainly not be pleasant.

Meanwhile, please continue to offer good advice on this forum and I will continue to drink up your words so that I can better understand my motor - if that is possible.

Ray

Comment

This is probably a mute point and maybe dumb because you probably use the right stuff, but I assume the Sta-bil you were using was the marine/ethanol treatment? If it was the red Sta-bil, it was not treating the ethanol.

Comment

I was under the impression that on the injected motors the rail and VST were not open to the atmosphere were the fuel was exposed to moisture and evaporated away like the carb models, but I could be looking at it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by smann316 View Post
                This is probably a mute point and maybe dumb because you probably use the right stuff, but I assume the Sta-bil you were using was the marine/ethanol treatment? If it was the red Sta-bil, it was not treating the ethanol.
                OP did say Marine Stabil - and I am sure you don't want me to go into why I am careful of that!!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I was under the impression that on the injected motors the rail and VST were not open to the atmosphere were the fuel was exposed to moisture and evaporated away like the carb models, but I could be looking at it wrong

The 4 stroke Yamaha EFI has the VST vented to the atmosphere so the fuel remaining inside the VST can oxidize and leave varnish deposits over time.

The E-TEC VST is not open to the atmosphere and has less problems with stale fuel, but a fuel additive is still recommended for extended storage periods.

It is not to say that one is better than the other, but just to point out the design differences.

Comment

Well, I'll wait to hear from the dealer and then continue this discussion if the problem indeed proves to be fuel. I have been in boating fo over forty years and am of the firm belief that active prevention is the only sure way to assure reliable and safe service from boats. So it is a bit disconcerting to not know what I may have done wrong.

Ray

Comment

you did nothing "wrong".
                      most boats made before jan 2010 have fuel systems vented to the atmosphere.
                      wasnt much of an issue until the marine tech stimulous program.
                      now it is.
                      doesnt take much with a modern EFI or DFI engine to wreak havoc with the fuel system.

Comment

Wonder how the OP fared regarding this thread?

Comment

this is a very old thread, why drag it back up?

Comment

I saw the OP was online a few nights ago and remembered he had posted an issue awhile back. I was asking for an update. By the time I posted he was gone.......

Comment

a PM would work better.
                              he does not have look up his threads

Comment

Working...
                              X