Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Gauge problem

Hello

I try to upgrade my boat with digital tach and speedo but have a problem to get the trim on tacho to work. I hope you experts in here can help me.
    When I connect the harness from trim sender to the new tacho the trim bar goes to the top and the top bars blinking. ( when I connect back to the old one then the old one works, so it should not be a problem with the sender?
    I am from Norway, so my engine is a european Yamaha 80hp type AET year 1987 with 703 remote control ( identical with 90AET except from carb id and exhaust manifold id) Not sure what name this type have in US. The tach have 4 single wires and 2 terminal block, I connect the 4 single wires to the harness from remote and the harness terminal from the trim sender I connect with adaptor between to the terminal block that have the pink, grey, orange and black w/whit stripe. The other terminal block on the tach I dont connect anything to since I dont have oiltank on my engine (this block is for oiltank sensors?), I add oil directly in gas tank. Anyone that have an idea of what I do wrong?
    I attached some photos. I am not the best in english so I hope you understand what I have written.
    Best regards from Norway
    Björn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by skibsplast; 08-08-2012, 03:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to wrote year of engine

Not sure about European gauges but it appears that your engine has a four wire trim sender and new gauges are for 2 or 3 wire trim senders, so they are not compatable with each other.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for your reply. The trim sender on my engine have 4 wires black, grey, pink and orange. The dip switch on my new tach have 2 or 3 wire options. I see on boats.net spare catalog that the trim sender for this engine is the same as I have on my engine, same part number 6E5-83672-01 (1987 90ETLH Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT SENDER Diagram and Parts). Any idea that other trim sender with 2 or 3 wires will fit my engine?

Best regard
      Björn

Comment

your actual trim sender should have 3 wires, the gray wire is visual overheat indicate.
        set the dip switch setting for 3 wire sender.
        and check the sender resistance and voltage feed back per service manual;

Comment

Hi

It seems like my trim sender (part no. 6E5-83672-01) will not work with digital gauge since the trim sender have 4 wires. This trimsender is also used on 1987 90ETLH and 1986 115ETLJ. Anybody knows about another yamaha trimsender with 2 or 3 wire will fit my engine? Center-Center screw hole on the clamp1 bracket were the sender is fasten, is about 40 millimeter ( 1 5/8 )

Thanks!

Best regards
          Björn
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X