2003 250 HPDI dependable or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 250 HPDI dependable or not?

I was looking to buy a boat with this engine and was curious how much trouble folks may be having with them. A buddy told me he knew they had problems with the 2002,s. So whats your opinions?

its a 10 year old outboard.
    add saltwater and its worse.
    if all the updates were done its better.

Comment

this motor checked out good and only has 54 hours on it. He said he only ran it 3 or 4 times a year. Also it has only been in fresh water.

Comment

If you buy it, then get a Yamaha Manual for that motor and study up on exactly what it takes in Preventive Maintenance and special care to allow the motor to run dependably. There are fuel and additive requirements, pumps and filters that require periodic cleaning or replacement,etc. Then if you keep clean, fresh, stabilized fuel in it, then the odds are excellent that you'll get great service from your motor, and you'll get the satisfaction of understanding how it works and what's required to make it run. Good Luck!

Comment

These as most other outboards do not like to sit and fuel that sits for long periods of time can and will destroy a motor if run while it is having problems

Comment

I think I may have asked this question wrong. this motor is running great. What I was wondering was
            "Do the 2003's as a whole have many issues?"
            I am usually afraid to buy cars soon after a model change because it may have bugs that need to be worked out. I know that the Optimaxes and HPDI's were just really getting popular around this time.

Comment

Rodbolt17 is a Yamaha Master tech so if he says they are better if all updates were done the I would think it should be OK

Comment

Working...
              X