Deadman switch doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadman switch doesn't work

The deadman switch on my Yamaha 25ESHS outboard is not working. You can remove the lanyard from the kill switch and the engine just keeps running. But if you actually press the kill switch it will shut the engine down. Are these switches adjustable for play? Or do I need a new switch? Is it a straightforward job?

Chris

I would say it is a bad switch.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Chris,
      The kill switch on my 704 remote control did the same thing a few months back - would not kill the motor when I pulled the lanyard. I removed the switch from the console and dissassembled it. At first glance, it does not look serviceable, but it is. Maybe yours is too. Try removing the switch and inspect it carefully - if it is a round cylinder looking thingy with two wires coming out one end, try unscrewing the two halves that make up the housing. Inside is a spring loaded plunger that has two contacts that touch a metal washer when the lanyard is not in place. The contacts can corrode, and thereby not make electrical contact with the washer. Just clean with a solvent like WD-40 and fine sandpaper and re-assemble.
      It is a good idea to test the kill switch occassionally - you want that sucker to work when the time comes!
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X