Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 115 lower unit problem question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 lower unit problem question...

Using friends boat on lake today, cruising as normal... then engine runs away, boat loses speed. Boat runs at about 7.5 mph @1200 rpm's... seems and sounds normal. When given any throttle, engine seems to run away, prop moves irratically, boat slows. Limped home at 1200 rpm's... can anybody guide me how to fix? Where would I start?

I'm very capable with a diesel motor or anything that needs fuel and oil, but no experience with outboards.

HELP needed please in Lake Keowee SC.

take prop to prop shop and have a new hub installed, sounds like you have spun the prop hub

Or buy a new prop same as the one on the motor now

Comment

That's it??? Nothing more complicated? Are you sure? Don't mean to sound like I'm looking for bigger problems, but I was expecting a bigger issue. Is there any way to make sure that is the problem? I was just down at boat and when engine is off, and throttle is forward and in gear, Transmission (for lack of known terminology) feels in gear... feels like I'm turning motor crankshaft... no excessive play.

Comment

mark prop/mark shaft and run under load

Comment

Marked it, prop spun on shaft... I guess it's not supposed to do that. What next? Remove prop and repair? Sounds easy enough... of course I'm 600 miles from my tools

Where are you in WPB... we live in Lake Worth. We're in South Carolina now minus one working boat.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

i work next to bobby soles, theyre in mangonia park and do great work
            or for a temp fix find a replacement locally

Comment

Always good to have a spare prop and tools for changing on the boat.
              Buy what tools are needed with a new prop and have the old one repaired for spare

Comment

Working...
              X