HELP! F115 Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! F115 Spark Plugs

Have a 2002 F115 Actually its a Mercury Four stroke 115, however doing a compartison to Yamaha as they are the same powerhead... wondering if the 2003 or newer f115 have a different spark plug?? Recently the motor with only 200 hours began running rough... Dealer found no problems when they hooked it up on computer.. They say the Spark Plugs were fouled and needed replacement... The boat had been hesitating the last few times out. Because Spark Plugs are a wearing part, the dealer said my extended warranty was no good. However dealer stated the newer F115's are using hotter spark plugs.??? If there is a service bulletin or can anyone verify this?? If these spark plugs are wearing prematurely then I feel it is a warranty issue and not a wearing part. Mercury is going to hear from me... I had the dealer check out the problem and inspect my throttle cables. After replacing 4 spark plugs, testing on the water and inspection of throttle cables they say I owe $212.00 That sounds insane to me!!! Mercury is going to hear from me on Monday!

Hello MuskyLund,

I have never heard of any kind of warranty that would cover spark plugs, unless the warranty was directly from the spark plug manufacter.

200 hours on plugs ..... that is quite a long time. I usually change my plugs every season, regardless of hours and have even changed them in the middle of the season.

I have no information concerning a service bulletin. I would not recommend "hotter" plugs as this could definately void your warranty, unless your dealer approves.

Good luck

Comment

My thought was that if the motors newer than 2002 are using a different set of spark plugs, perhaps there was an issue with the plugs being used in my 2002 Motor. In that case perhaps something would cause premature failure... note they were not worn out, they were fouled out. I know many outboard owners got used to changing plugs in 2 stroke motors, but this is a 4 stroke Efi with a much more precise fuel delivery system.

Comment

Working...
      X