Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing the block with Freshwater?

2007 F150TXR

My mech told me I can put the hose to the engine to remove some salt deposits on the block and various componets. Obviously I would avoid important elec connections but is it safe to hose her down?

Not talkin pressure washer blast just a light rinse with the hose to remove the salt buildup.

Thanks

Yep, I use just light garden hose pressure to wash salt off engine...lightly rinse motor under cowl, avoiding electricals. Good to do this on a sunny, warm day and let it air dry in the sun. Spray some areas down with WD-40 or similar to help keep moisture/corrosion off. Some car wax/polish on outside of motor/cowling helps keep water off and looking like new!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
      Yep, I use just light garden hose pressure to wash salt off engine...lightly rinse motor under cowl, avoiding electricals. Good to do this on a sunny, warm day and let it air dry in the sun. Spray some areas down with WD-40 or similar to help keep moisture/corrosion off. Some car wax/polish on outside of motor/cowling helps keep water off and looking like new!
      Alright, thanks RG. I figured my mech knew what he was talkin about but I just wanted to make sure......

I might be stirring the pot but I think WD-40 holds dirt and grime better than Tri-Flow......plus I enjoy the smell I have been using a silicone spray just to keep the rubber good and ease of wiping away debris, not necessarily for lubrication

Comment

i wouldnt use wd 40 on anything marine, just doesnt work well, we use a spray called Fluid Film, the best thing i have ever found.

Comment

If I didn’t feel like dragging out the air compressor I would use the leaf blower to get the excess water off do under the fly wheel good.

Comment

Best not to spray any water under or around the flywheel or electricals....this should be just a light, low-pressure rinse to remove dirt, dust, bugs, etc.

Comment

Thanks again guys, its really just on the side of the block, mani and by cowling latches. My biggest concern was whether the water would run out when it gathered under the block........
              Last edited by ssiredfish; 07-24-2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X