Proper way to shift from forward to reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to shift from forward to reverse

As I'm boating along on the river and I've slowed way down to a very slow crawl...
    How do I stopped the grinding sound when shifting into reverse? What's the trick to prevent the mild "grrrr" before it shift into reverse. Would it be the current still moving the propeller?
    It's not a malfunction or anything. I believe I'm just doing something wrong...any ideas or tricks. It's a 30hp Yamaha...maybe a 1993 model.

Thanks...

On the Yamahas (and other makes too) that I've operated, a gear shifting gear noise is usually created by shifting too slowly. What works best for me is a positive shifting motion without hesitation...in other words, a smooth transfer in to gear. This is assuming your gearcase and shift/throttle control are in good condition. You can try experimenting to see what gives you the best results.

Comment

Be sure you're at normal idle RPM, then firmly move lever into reverse...same with forward. Trying to baby it into gear causes that grinding sound. Lower unit stays in gear and you're just engaging those clutch dogs for forward or reverse.

Comment

Working...
      X