Trim anode missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim anode missing

My 2001 F115 is missing the trim anode. What is the purpose of the anode and what damage if any can be caused by not having it? FYI, I have ordered a replacement from Boats.net. I assume installation is as easy as 1 bolt, right?

Originally posted by smann316 View Post
    My 2001 F115 is missing the trim anode. What is the purpose of the anode and what damage if any can be caused by not having it? FYI, I have ordered a replacement from Boats.net. I assume installation is as easy as 1 bolt, right?
    The trim fin zinc anode is there to counteract the steering torque produced by the prop, as well as being a sacrificial anode to help reduce corrosion on other parts of the motor. It is important and should be replaced...they have been known to come loose and be lost...maybe some Loctite on that one bolt holding it one! They are a fairly standard and inexpensive item, and with any luck your bolt is still down in that cavity on top of lower unit!...otherwise you may need a new bolt also.

Comment

One other item, assuming your motor is a right hand prop, then turn the fin to the right(starboard) looking at the back of the motor, then tighten the bolt...that should just about cancel your steering torque(boat pulls in one direction under power)...Good Luck!

Comment

I think Rodbolt17 has said some of the larger motors require tap in place to help direct water to cool hub. Without it the hub will overheat and go out.
        But I have no idea which motors

Comment

Working...
        X