1994 Yamaha 30 ELRS idle adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Yamaha 30 ELRS idle adjustment?

I took my new (to me)15' Gregor out for its maiden fishing trip last weekend,all was fine other than the fact i couldnt engage drive or reverse at the console/controls with out the motor dying out.It would idle,although at a low rate.The motor was recently tuned by a local dealer (Bucks Outboard) of Sacramento,had fresh gas and the elevation of the lake was only about 2,300' im stumped and am thinking maybe the idle needs to be bumped up? I received no manual with the boat,so im in the dark about how to adjust/diagnose the problem. Sure could use some help.Thanks,Mark

It should idle at 750 rpm's, the idle screw is on the top carb. If you don't have a tach it might be better to take back to dealer and let him check.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks,idle is spot on,per the tach.I just added new fuel and have a new set of plugs on the way,the old ones were dirty and one heat number under the mfg.recommendation on the motor.Primer bulb and supply line looks like new.You wouldnt have the plug gap handy,would you? Thanks,Mark.

Comment

New plugs in,although i cant load test it,i ran it with the water muffs.Question:Will a drum filled with water load test at all,given it wouldnt simulate the weight of the boat? Thanks,Mark.

Comment

Mark,
          You're right - putting the motor in gear in a water tank won't put much of a load on the prop - but if your motor is dying as soon as you engage forward or reverse, then it's worth a try.
          Your carbs should have a pilot screw adjustment and an idle speed adjustment for each carb - you need a Yamaha shop manual for your motor for specifics on adjustment - either one could cause your symptom.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Thanks much Ken,appreciate the input,is there a source here for ordering the manual on line?Mark.

Comment

Yeah, Mark, go to www.yamahapubs.com - you can order online and they will ship to your door.
              Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the info Ken.My manual is out of stock.Any other sources? Thanks again,Mark.

Comment

Mark,
                  You might try some local Yamaha dealers - they might have it in stock, but I doubt it.
                  I would leave my order in for the Yamaha manual, and in the meantime get an after market one like Seloc or Clymers, available at marine supply stores, or try ebay.com.
                  Ken K

Comment

Any guesstimate on when the manual might be in stock? Thanks,Mark.

Comment

TTT??

Comment

im pretty sure you can get a free pdf manual at yamaha-motor.com /// OOOPS they start at `98, sorry. I would then try to look on ebay.

Comment

Update:After putting in new plugs and fuel,I took the boat to the lake today.It started and ran fine the first few times.After it began warm the motor wouldnt start off quickly (had to use choke to start it) and it wouldnt idle,had to finesse it into gear to make it back to the dock.Any ideas? Im thinking its a lean condition,since i had to use choke to get a warm motor started.Since i cant find a manual anywhere im looking for online help.I can only find one adj. screw on each carb,near the top on the side of each carb.Thinking about fattening up the carbs a bit,maybe open up a half or full turn each? Any ideas?? Thanks,Mark.

Comment

Mark,
                            You could back the pilot screws out another half turn to see if that helps. But I'm starting to think that maybe you have clogged up carbs. If it has been at least four years since last carb overhaul, then I would recommend it - teardown, cleaning, and kit install. You are still gonna need a shop manual to guide you along.
                            Or you could do a shock treatment with RingFree or Seafoam to see if that will clean the carbs enough to make a difference.
                            Good luck, and let us know how you come out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                            Ken K

Comment

I emailed you the carb section out of the service manual, check your email.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X