spark plug wires keep coming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug wires keep coming off

i purchased a 2010 70 hp yamaha to go on my bass boat. some times when im wide open the spark plug wires on cylinder 1 and 3 just come off.ive been having this problem since i had it new .the dealer told me to use tie straps to hold the wires on still dont work.is anybody else having this problem?

Need to replace spark plug boots on end of plug wires.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

the motor dont have that many hrs it was new in the box when i got it

Comment

If still under warranty then warranty will cover it.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have only seen this once in the last 30+ years of working on motors. If my memory serves me correctly, it was on a older Toyota. The spark plug was defective, yes spark plug. It was allowing the compression to seep through the center ever so slightly that it would build up pressure in the spark plug boot and pop it loose. It took me and my fellow techs a while to find it, and I would never have believed it had I not have seen it for my self. Just a thought, change the plugs out and see if it solves your issue.
          I got a boat now "bout time" took me 50 years to do so

Comment

thanks never would have thought of that will go down and get some new ones monday.its a nice cheap repair that has been driving me nuts

Comment

Originally posted by mcgheecutl View Post
              i purchased a 2010 70 hp yamaha to go on my bass boat. some times when im wide open the spark plug wires on cylinder 1 and 3 just come off.ive been having this problem since i had it new .the dealer told me to use tie straps to hold the wires on still dont work.is anybody else having this problem?
              I had the same problem on an older yamaha 150....The tie strap method worked for me. If they are zipped tight enough, it takes quite a bit of effort to pull them off

Comment

Working...
              X