Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to switch gear between R, N and F

Hi

My 1977 Yamaha 8hp has become very hard to switch gear. It seems to me that the handle has moved 2-4 mm out making a gap which is causing the problem. If I push the handle (to remove the 2-4 mm gap) and while holding turn between Reverse, Neutral and Forward it works normal.

So, my queston is; How does one remove and put back the gear handle and the piece from the gear handle which actualy moves the shifting pin inside the motor. Do I have to remove the motor to get access inside (looks like that). Is there any smart way to tighten the parts to the gear handle and action pin (sorry don't know the english word(s)).

Anyboady having a Servcie Maual for 1977 models?

Take care and have fun
    /Thomas
    Attached Files

We have never seen a 1977 model here in US but probably will have to remove engine to get access to shifter parts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have part diagrams for a 71-73 (i think 8hp) P165 if that might help you?

Comment

Thanks, found a '84 service manual and worked from there;

I had to remove power head to be able to tighten the switch gear parts.
        At the same time it was possible to clean the cooling water parts.

To remove the power head I had to remove
        - stop button contact cables
        - the piece which holds the earthing contact and the end of the gas wire.
        - the fuel hose inside where the fuel contact is atached.
        - the choke contact.

- 8 screaws were removed, one of them in front could not be removed due to lack of space, but it could be unwinded enough.

Be careful when workling with the lower power unit. To many assembly/disassembly might force you to do the operation above .....

Putting the engine on the sailboat and changing the
        - sparke
        - new fresh gasoline 1:100

--> works nice again. Love Yamaha outboarders before 1984 !!!!

Comment

Is this service manual an electronic copy or paper?

Comment

1977 (Mariner) mfg Yamaha 8M 67700 sn379040

Hi, purchased this outboard, didn't realize there was NO carburetor. Can anyone help with any of the two carbs pn from Mercury 7189M or 6972M ? thx

Comment

Working...
            X