Trim Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Motor

I have a pair of 1988 Yamaha 150's on a 1983 Mako 254. Motors have run almost flawlessly since I bought it 9 years ago. I just put new seals, O-rings and caps on the trim cylinders and everything has worked fine until this past weekend. I got to the ramp in Clearwater and the port motor would not go up or down....no noise made, No clicking nothing. I got out of the boat and went around to the back,Lifted the cowling, everything was clean with no corrosion. I then looked at the trim motor and moved the wire going into the top of the motor and it started working. It continued to work intermittently throughout the day and when I got it home it was dead again. Moved the wires and it worked. There is 2 small phillips screws that afix the wires to the top of the motor that looks like they can be removed. Is there something underneath the cap that could be loose? If so, can it be repaired or am I in for a new motor. I ate to replace the motor b/c when it works it works fine but if I need a new motor I dont have a problem ordering one. My problem is I can't figure out how to get to the back bolt that holds it on. Is is accesbile without pulling the whole motor? If so how? any help would be appreciated as I am hoping to take the family to the keys in about 3 weeks and I am running out of daylight to get it done if this is something I can't fix myself.
    Last edited by Z-man228; 07-10-2012, 04:24 PM.

The cap just hold rubber sealing grommet in place, may be a broken wire.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can i take that cap loose and service it from there? if not, will the trim motor come off w/o removing the entire motor from the transom? I am in Winter Haven Fl If i can't fix it Could boats.net in Sebring/Lake palcid area take a look at it for me?

Comment

If relay will not even pick up when it does not work, I do not see how the motor leads would be the problem
        Last edited by 99yam40; 07-11-2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Me neither but i got home tonite and tried it again. Hit the button. Nothing. Moved the wires on top of the motor and it worked. I discovered the rubber coating around the leads had a crack in it and you could see the wires. Possible saltwater ran down inside?
          Last edited by Z-man228; 07-10-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

my thought is you should be able to hear relay pick up even if motor is bad

Comment

I will check it out. Thanks

Comment

got home after talking to you today and the solenoid was clicking just nothing happening on the motor side. I took the green and blue wires off, cleaned them and nothing. Pulled the ground wire loose and cleaned it up and all of the sudden it is working fine again. I will keep checking it thru the weekend and If I need A part I will definitely call you. Thanks for all your help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X