Bottom 2 Cylinders Dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom 2 Cylinders Dead?

my 1990 150 yamaha is now suddenly dead on the bottom 2 cylinders. it all started when all of a sudden it was lacking power and had couldnt make WOT rpms anymore like i had 1 or more dead cylinders. with the throttle wide open i could occasionally feel them "kick in" for a split second and get full power but it was generally gutless.

got home and began troubleshooting. i have spark on all 6 cylinders and compression is a dead even 135 all around. and all the plugs were nice and tan. BUT as it idled i started pulling plug wires and it became apparent that the bottom cylinder in each bank was not firing because when i pulled those plugs the motor didnt react. i notice that these are fed off the same carb.

fuel is being pumped to all the carbs though and i pulled the main jets and found them to be clear of debris. however when i remove the silencer and run the motor it feels like there is little or no suction (vacuum) on the bottom carb whereas i can feel it sucking pretty hard when i put my hand over the other 2.

i wonder if theres a major vacuum leak? or could reed valves cause this? i ordered a carb rebuild kit but it seems wierd that it would completely shut down when it had been running perfect all day. Any thoughts?

I have found when it comes to fuel issues nothing is wierd,, can be running perfectly all day, then mess up on the way home. can you pick up the cylinders with a fuel spray from a spray bottle, or carb cleaner,

Comment

Working...
    X