T9.9 ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T9.9 ignition problem

My T9.9 ELRT outboard ran fine during the winter, and was stopped usually by running the carb and fuel line out of gas. from new its had a tendency to start on one cylinder then quickly the second one kicks in. last week it failed to start! no spark, though if I ground a high tension lead through myself I get a very powerfull electric shock.
    I removed the plug covers cranked the engine (no plugs installed) no spark.
    plug cover resistance, one at 47k ohms,number two at 20m ohms.
    pulser coil resistance219.9ohms
    charge coil resistance 343.4 ohms.
    charge coil output at cranking speed 39volt ac a momentary max of 45v ac was seen,this was checked with all wiring complete at the blue and brown wire connections.
    Thank you

Charge coil output voltage at cranking should be 95 volts using a peak reading voltmeter to read voltage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can you think of a reason the charge coil voltage is so low,do i need to just order a replacement coil.
      thankyou for your responce

Comment

You need to measure with the proper test equipment.
        Peak volt meter made just for these ignition systems
        Or with a DVA adapter using your normal meter set on DC

Comment

But the manual suggests setting the meter to ac?

Comment

its an ac signal however a standard DVM is going to give an average RMS voltage reading not a peak voltage reading.
            your plug cap resistance is way off.

Comment

Well I installed a new plug cap, (my dealer only ordered one) still no spark checked the voltage at the blue and brown wires (all wires connected) the reading was 40.4 vac and 19.47 vdc. at cranking speed(no plugs installed)
              removed the plug caps and checked the high tension leads for a spark, no spark! though grounding the lead through myself I get quite the shock.
              Removed the flywheel but can see no obvious problems with the coil windings.
              any help would be appreciated, the engine otherwise seems fine and at this stage in life (nearly 74) I really can't justify a new engine.
              Cheers
              Bill

Comment

How are you testing spark?
                are you testing spark with a spark tester?

Which cap did you replace? the 20M I hope.

Have you check the ohms on the coil?

Have you picked up a peak reading meter or a DVA adapter to take the peak voltage readings or are you still taking the readings with your plain meter?
                Last edited by 99yam40; 07-01-2012, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Sorry about the delay I have been away for a spell.
                  I pulled the flywheel to give me access to the stator, the stator appeared fine though slight corrosion was evident on the bottom of the stator and the bracket this was mounted on.
                  This i cleaned and on reassembly I have a spark and the engine once more runs like a swiss watch.
                  Thankyou for you help.
                  Cheers
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X