90hp two stroke overheat alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think this must not be a Yamaha tech that modified the stat,

Was it the same yahoo that changed the water pump and left the mounting bolts loose?

I would put a new stat in to make sure all is functioning properly like Yamaha designed it to

Comment

"Did something to thermostat so it stays open"...maybe not so good....put in a new thermostat. "Loose water pump housing bolts"...might be on to something there....maybe last time pump was replaced, they just failed to tighten them? Good Luck Anyway!

Comment

Here we go again, ran fine for first couple of long runs then alarm sounded again. He is not the same guy who changed the water pump. I've talked to a few people who work on boats about the thermostat and all of them say it will be fine like that because here in louisiana it doesn't get cold enough to need it. They did say don't pull it completely out that it needs to be in there for the back pressure. The next thing we are going to try is a complete water pump kit that includes housing, the first time they just changed empellor. Crossing fingers!

Comment

Housing does not come with the kit, have to order it separately.
          Always replace with the kit, it comes with new cup and wear plate.

If thermostat works properly it will keep motor at the proper temperature and burn fuel better, put a good one back in.
          I'll bet these were not trained Yamaha techs that you talked to

Comment

I know this is a very old post, but wondering what the final result was? Was it the CDI going bad or something simpler?

I am basically having the same issue where my motor goes into shutdown mode... (just ordered new buzzer but i am sure it will be buzzing as well)

Engine does not feel hot and pees ok. (i have another thread recently about this but not sure about anything yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfisher View Post
              I know this is a very old post, but wondering what the final result was? Was it the CDI going bad or something simpler?

I am basically having the same issue where my motor goes into shutdown mode... (just ordered new buzzer but i am sure it will be buzzing as well)

Engine does not feel hot and pees ok. (i have another thread recently about this but not sure about anything yet)
              You should go back to your original post and comment there...if not, it will become very confusing..

thanks

Comment

dude
                you cannot do anything to the t-stat to make it stay open short of destroying the t-stat.
                please take it to a real shop.
                you can mask an issue for a bit then the motor may be trashed.

Comment

Ok, I was just hoping to find what Tgsx750f2000 said the fix was for his.

Comment

Two different motors having the exact same symptom/problem might require two completely separate solutions.

Thinking otherwise will send a guy down rodnuts rabbit hole.

Comment

some folks spend years hunting sasquatch.

others chase bunny's.
                      some hunt ghosts.

I simply fix them day after day.

Comment

Working...
                      X