Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

worth it to convert tiller model to remote steer/shift/throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worth it to convert tiller model to remote steer/shift/throttle?

I have a 30 horse short shaft, tiller steer manual start 2 stroke. Is there a way to make it remote steer and control? Is it worth the effort?
    A good motor otherwise.

Thanks

Hi I have a Yamaha 20hp it has the remote steering but we still have to operate the throttle and gears by hand its not very good that way I think if you are going to change change the lot gears,steering and throttle. I am looking for a Yamha 701 remote for my boat.But I think the remote is definatly much better than the tiller.

Comment

I agree with the all or nothing approach, with the limitation that mine will obviously always be a pull start. I am hoping to get 2 or 3 years out of my existing motor before the upgrade to a 4 stroke remote steer, start and control. Maybe the controls I buy now can be used on the future motor. It must be possible to buy a kit to remote steer and shift/throttle, right?

Bill

Comment

I agree with you Bill, We have Teleflex steering the Yamaha 701 will give you the throttle and gears. I have been looking on Ebay for the 701 but non there at the moment. I had a problem with the carb on my 20hp managed to pick up a brand new one from the Boat Doctor in FL it was a lot chaeper than buying one in the UK. The Teleflex steering workd fine with the Yamaha there is a rod that goes through the motor.

Comment

Thanks, Clive. I called the yamaha parts people and they were very helpful. The 701 and their conversion kit should work, plus setting up the teleflex steering.

The yamaha parts catalog on line seems to have everything.

Comment

Working...
          X