2003 oil sensor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 oil sensor question

I have a 2003 90TRLB with oil injection. There are no gauges on the boat, only the buzzer. The buzzer goes off when the key is turned on, whether the motor is started or not. I disconnected the oil sensor in the internal oil tank and the buzzer stopped. The tank was full of oil. Thinking I had found the problem, I ordered a replacement sensor. The new one didn't fix the problem. After much digging thru the cabling, and after ordering a service manual, I finally decided I was stumped. I emptied the oil tank and removed the sensor. With all connectors connected and the key on (engine not running) I moved the float on the sensor. When the float is at the bottom (no oil) the buzzers buzzes. It will not stop until the float is at the top of the sensor (full tank), at which time the buzzer still buzzes, but it has a definite difference in the sound. Once the float drops about 1/2" then the buzzer stops. If the float rises to the top of the sensor (full tank) the buzzer buzzes. This make no sense.

Can someone explain why the sensor sets off the buzzer if the float is at the top (full tank)?

While looking into the issue, I found that the Yamaha service manual shows the connector for the oil sensor in the schematics, but it doesn't have the mating connector. I traced this mating connector and it looks like it goes to the trim sensor. Why would it do that?

no sensors on that system.
    solved that problem.
    dissconect the gray bullet connector near the 4 pin square connector.

Comment

The sensor I am talking about is in the internal oil tank. I removed the sensor from the tank and verified that it will alarm when the oil gets low, so that part works. It is the full tank issue that confuses me. If I disconnect the 4 pin square connector, then that completely disables the sensor. Is that really a good idea?

Comment

He said to disconnect the grey bullet connector near the 4 pin

He was referring to those being switches not sensors

Comment

Working...
        X