New T9.9 high thrust starting/running problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New T9.9 high thrust starting/running problem

Followng on from my questions on this topic before - in the hope that you can help me further:

I stripped the carb - or at least as much as I could and soaked it in brake fluid - on the advice of a mechanic since nobody seemed to know of a 'carb cleaner' for this purpose, just the type you add to your gas.

So now the engine starts and runs fine without my blocking the airflow as before - however it will only do so at high revs. If I reduce the revs it slows and then stalls. To start it I then need to pump the throttle once or twice and it starts right up.

By the way a Yamaha dealer told me that this engine requires as part of the starting procedure that the engine be put in gear, and the throttle opened and closed fully five times before running the starter. I tried this on another, older T9.9 that has always been a sluggish cold starter and it worked like a dream.

It sounds like the low speed circuit in carb is still plugged up or an air leak intake manifold.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Where can I find something explaining the low speed circuit in the carb?

Comment

It's what Yamaha calls pilot jet, the small jets in carb and passages.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Many thanks. It was the pilot jet which had missed the first tie I took it apart. once I cleared it the outboard worked perfectly.

So the next question is, having moved the boat to its winter storage, what are the details of the winter storage procedure and must the motor be stored inside (in NYC) or can it be left on the boat on the hard?

Looking forward to mre of your great advice.

Best,

Tim.

Comment

One thing not mentioned is what my mechanic did to my little used 2002 T9.9. He inserted a very fine
            wire into the low and high speed jets to clean out
            any blockages, and that seemed to help. I had to repeat that operation a few weeks later, maybe because of some dirt left over in the fuel system.
            I have a filter on the gas tank, plus the filter on the engine, but something may have sneaked through. Interesting about your suggestion of turning the throttle lever 5 times before starting. I'll have to try that, although I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind it. My engine starts quickly in the warm weather, but when it drops to the 50's, it is a bit reluctant to start.
            I stored my engine this week in an upright position on the boat. I changed engine and gear oil. I fogged the carb and spark plug ports. I then did something not in the manual by turning the drain screw at the bottom of the carb to empty
            out any remaining gas. I usually just run an engine dry, but the requirement to fog the carbs until the engine stalls precludes this kind of purging of fuel. This is the first year I am storing the engine in the cold Midwest, so we shall see what happens next spring.

Comment

Working...
            X