connecting fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting fuel gauge

Gentlemen, a newbie to the site, but a boater for 40 years. Currently serving our Purple Heart recipients by taking them fishing and boating. Our boat, a 24 C/C had all the gauges and electronics stolen recently. In our quest to get back on the water for our Vets, we purchased a set of gauges for our discontinued Century boat. What I did not know was that they were analog gauges and apparently do not "read" the impulses form the ECU like the digital gauges. I have an overheat alarm, I can see and feel the trim, so the most important gauge to me is the FUEL GAUGE. Our question is this: Will the simple analog gauge work directly with the sending unit, and if so, what color wires do connect to make that gauge work. We are a 501C-3 and funds have been slow, so trying to remedy without Mechanic intervention would be optimal. Thank You.

Connect pink wire from fuel tank sender to sender post on fuel gauge, Connect yellow or purple wire from key switch to "I" terminal on gauge and Black wire to ground terminal.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

info on fuel gauge/ and fuel issues

Thank you for the wiring colors for the fuel gauge, I just took the boat to the water and in lieu of an answer just filled the tank,ouch. But while at the dock, and testing before a trip out tomorrow, the engine would not hit on all 6 cylinders, and water was pouring out of the front of the block just above the steering arm. This water leakage was repaired about 2 weeks ago while the water pump was replaced and it only has an hour of test time on it. Wondering why? Additionally, this motor has run like crap since I rebuilt it. It got all new pistons, rings,bearings, fuel pumps,VST screen,cleaned injectors with screen replacements,new fuel water separator and lines, emptied the tank and refilled with new fuel. First time out, water pump burned up, gasket above cowling let go, oil sending unit burned along with wiring harness. All was replaced and a water test was performed with 1 hour run time about a week ago. Boat was brought to the dock today where she would not hit on all cylinders and water is gushing out of the cowling area again, what gives? Everyone tells me how great these motors are, but this thing has been a nightmare since we got it. HELP!!!!

Comment

Don'y know what motor you have but need to find source of water leak and see if water is getting into cylinders or spraying on electrical components of engine.
        Last edited by boats.net; 06-18-2012, 09:04 AM.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

where are you located, I have been known to assist with some issues with the uscg and usn morale and welfare boats.
          would not mind donating some time to purple heart recipients.
          I was medically retired in 1995 so I understand some of the issues.

Comment

1998 Yamaha 225 2 stroke

Rodbolt, thank you for the offer of help to get our Vet Boat back on the water.
            As you read in my short snippett, our organization, Wounded Warriors of South Florida, are dedicated to Directly Assisting Purple Heart recipients transitioning from hospitals to civilian life here in So. Florida. Recently, we implemented a program called "Team Reel Warriors", where we offer these Vets time on water either cruising or all-out fishing off Stuart,Florida, the sailfish capital of the world. To that end, we are receptive to ANY help that will either help us get this tired old motor operating properly so our Vets are safe out there, or perhaps direct us to a major outboard company that might help our 501C3 to repower our boat. Please see our Veteran's Boat at WoundedWarriorsfishing.org and an address to communicate.
            Ok Rodbolt, here are the facts: Just the facts!(lol)

1998 Yamaha 225 2 Stroke OX-66
            Rebuilt last month 4 3rd time. Bore now .060 over
            Pistons,rings,bearings,fuel components,water pump,w/p housing, thermostats, oil pump and oil pump harness is all new. I brought the boat to the dock for a pretest prior to a fishing trip planned for our Vets on Friday. The same problem that I have had since the rebuild still occurs, despite having brought it to several Marine mechanics. The motor is breaking up badly like a fuel management issue or a spark issue. I pulled all the plugs at the dock, they were all firing. I do not have a meter at this writing. Additionally, there appears to be copius amounts of water squirting out above the steering arm while in the water at the dock and under pressure, although I cannot recreate that water spray with the ears on at the house. I have heard things like: the exhaust gasket is bad allowing exhaust gases to re-enter the cylinders during operation, breaking down the firing. I have heard things like: That should have no direct connection to how it runs, even with the water escaping. So 5 different opinions offered by 5 different mechanics, none of which has put our Purple heart Vet boat back on the water. So while thois is a mouthful, there it is. Wounded Warriors of So. Florida stands ready and willing to accept help with this issue. Semper Fidelis. JJ.

Comment

south FL is a bit far from me,I am on the outer banks of NC.
              the water is either a bad base gasket or the water passage between the V banks has corroded through.
              your going to need some basic test equipment such as a DVM with a DVA adapter and a fuel pressure test guage to screw into the schrader valve on the VST.

Comment

1998 Yamaha 225 2 stroke

Rodbolt, Thank You Sir. We lived in N.C. up at Boone for years and have been to OB many times, love fishing there. I had a mechanic test the Schrader valve on the VST and it ran out at 35lbs., but that was running in my driveway after the rebuild. I have not tested it since then. Note, I did replace the VST screen a few weeks ago and the LP fuel blocks. Can you tell me what the other 2 parts you mentioned are and what their function are? If I can not figure this out today, I am taking the boat to yet another Marine Mechanic tomorrow and it would be great if I had the knowledge necessary to have them perform the "correct diagnostics" to overcome these issues.

Comment

firts test compression,lets make sure that overheat did not damage anyhing.
                  second issue to be addressed is that water leak.
                  use the yamaha dealer locator function and try to find a master tech in your area.

Comment

Working...
                  X