multifunction tachhometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multifunction tachhometer

In the course of homebuilding my boat, and before buying the motor, I purchased on-line and installed a Yamaha Multifunction Digital Tachometer with harness. The harness had TWO 4-wire connectors at EACH END. The color coding and connectors of the harness matched those of the tach. A few months later, I bought a new Yamaha T60 High Thrust 4 cycle. When I got the motor, it had only one 4-wire connector to plug into the harness. The tach worked, but not the trim, oil or temperature.

The dealer told me that the new motor fed all the data through just 4 wires now, and I needed an adapter harness to make the existing tach work. I purchased this and installed it. This added the trim indicator, but I still have no oil or temp reading. The dealer's service department doesn't seem to know what is wrong.

How do you know you have no oil or temp reading? Did you connect the temperature sensor leads together (the sensor is located under the hood, at the top of the cylinder head....), and turn on the key to see if you get a warning horn and light? They don't usually do anything unless there's a problem.

Mike........ Miami, FL

Comment

No, I don't see any sensor leads, only the single 4-wire connector. If it's true that the digital LCD multifunction tach only indicates if there is a problem, then the rigger at my Yamaha dealer must be clueless, because he apparently doesn't know this. I guess I was assuming that there would be something showing above the two icons on the gauge to let me know that the thing is working.

Comment

Yes they only light up if there is a problem. Find a new rigger.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X