Whats the trick? Lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the trick? Lower unit

I pulled my lower unit - installed the water pump impeller and now I can not for the life of me get the lower unit stabbed and back together. What gives? What am I doing wrong? This is very frustrating. I know I'm a new at this but it just doesnt seem like it should be this hard to get it lower unit back on.

The drive shaft splines need to line up at the bottom of the powerhead, the shifter shaft has to line up and your water tube has to line up, then it should slide right up in there! Check it and keep trying...you'll get it!

Comment

When lining up the drive shaft splines, you may need to rotate the propeller,in the direction of rotation, just a bit to get then in sync. Also use some grease on the splines. Sometimes the water tube needs to be lined up by moving it with a long screwdriver, just 5to get it lined up. grease it with vaseline. I have used one of those ratchet straps to assist in holding the lower unit up and in place while I take a rest from wrangling it into position.

Comment

Originally posted by bumperfood View Post
        When lining up the drive shaft splines, you may need to rotate the propeller,in the direction of rotation, just a bit to get then in sync. Also use some grease on the splines. Sometimes the water tube needs to be lined up by moving it with a long screwdriver, just 5to get it lined up. grease it with vaseline. I have used one of those ratchet straps to assist in holding the lower unit up and in place while I take a rest from wrangling it into position.
        Good stuff - thanks for the advice. Someone else mentioned that I could have someone move the flywheel too. Thanks to all...will try again tomorrow!

Comment

OK - here is my problem...I pulled the lower unit in neutral. When I pulled the lower unit the shift shaft staye connected to the motor (it slid out of the lower unit).

Beings I had never done this before I thought nothing of it. After further research - it does not appear that this is supposed to happen. I pulled the shift shaft from the keeper in the shift rod and lowered it back into the lower unit. It reached a stopping point and I rotated it just a little and it seemed to line up and slide down. It however has not resistance on it when you turn it so I assume its not seated. I pulled the rod back out just for kicks and stabbed the lower unit and its when right on.

My issue is the shift shaft is not going into place in the lower unit. Anybody have any advice for this one? I thought the carb cleaing would be the hard part - who knew a simple water pump impeller would be my doom?

Comment

I think you have a 70 hp, the top of the shift rod where it comes out of the lower unit should have splines (similar but much smaller then the drive shaft that goes into the powerhead through the waterpump). The splined area is about 2 inches long and lower in height then the top of the waterpump housing. The shift rod goes into the lower unit through a retaining piece with three bolts holding it down. Is this correct so far?

Comment

lower unit

Looking at the parts fisch for your engine, that shifter rod has some retainer clips that SHOULD keep the rod in the lower unit... Obviously it isn't anymore.

I suspect you'll probably have to get into the lower unit, fish out the old retainer and re-install a new retainer..

Yamaha OEM Parts ? Outboards, Outboard Motors)
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I took it to the shop - supposedly where the rod connects in the linkage is spring loaded so the lower unit or a part of it will have to come apart. And YES - there is a circlip that is missing on the shaft that is supposed to keep this from happening. The missing clip is the mystery at this point.

Comment

Hopefully it isn't too expensive to fix. The prop shaft may have to come out to find the clip if it didn't get chewed up (it may have been off all this time and just came to light). I'd make sure it flushed out of particles real good and probably re-seal the lower unit while its apart anyway..

BTW, I seriously doubt it was anything you did wrong in your procedure, it should've stayed in. Pulling the unit while in NEUTRAL is the norm.

Perhaps the previous owner, if bought used, is responsible.. At least you found the problem
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-09-2012, 07:32 AM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Hopefully it isn't too expensive to fix. The prop shaft may have to come out to find the clip if it didn't get chewed up (it may have been off all this time and just came to light). I'd make sure it flushed out of particles real good and probably re-seal the lower unit while its apart anyway..

BTW, I seriously doubt it was anything you did wrong in your procedure, it should've stayed in. Pulling the unit while in NEUTRAL is the norm.

Perhaps the previous owner, if bought used, is responsible.. At least you found the problem
                    $100 at a local shop. First place quoted me $350. The mechanic says he's never seen that before. Said everything look ok inside though.

Comment

Working...
                    X