Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Running F40TLRD

Greetings Folks,

After having replaced my water pump housing and impeller I don't want to make the same mistake again, I ran it dry.

I need to start it every few weeks and can immerse the lower unit in a trash can full of water, but that requires a bit of work.

Questions:

1.) Do the "Ear Muff" attachments work well enough for a short test run, just long enough to fill the carbs and blow out the cobwebs? What is the proper way to use them?

2.) Can you attach a hose to the motor flush fitting to supply water for a short test run?

Although I truly enjoyed learning how to rebuild the water pump, I would rather not repeat it for a while.

Thanks for the help.

Muffs

Ear muffs work fine, just make sure they fit tight and have lots of water volume / pressure. ALWAYS make sure the water is ON when running..

DO NOT run the engine on the top hose flush out port. It flushes the powerhead but doesn't lubricate the water pump like muffs do...

I would also, if your letting it sit for awhile, either drain the carbs (should be a drain screw/bolt) at the bottom of each float bowl. Or add Seafoam or Yamaha Ringfree to the fuel. It'll keep the jets from clogging up.

I flush my F150 immediatly with the engine off using the Yamaha hose hook up port. I let water run about 15 minutes (salt water use), then run on the muffs maybe 5-6 minutes with a couple of very short blips on the throttle...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X