F90 belt squealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F90 belt squealing

I have a 2006 Yamaha F90 4 stroke ~ 410 hours.

For some time I have noticed what sounds like subtle belt squealing from the outboard.

I don't know if this happens at higher speeds at all, but I am only able to hear it at *****ing speeds - and only occasionally.

Is this noise coming from the timing belt, or is there a separate alternator belt somewhere on this outboard?

Thanks!
    Last edited by searanger; 06-04-2012, 01:02 AM.

Could be drive shaft bushing, may need to remove gearcase and grease upper shaft splines and seal area and area where drive shaft bushing rides on shaft.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sincere thanks for a quick reply!

I know that this would only be a guess, but would you presume serious damage if I ran the outboard in this condition over the next couple of months?

Unfortunately I just relocated my boat to a remote location for the Summer, and getting it back to the nearest mechanic would involve several hours of trailering on a mountain road

Comment

It is not hard to do it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          It is not hard to do it yourself
          I do oil, spark plugs, and check thermostat - have not attempted much else on an engine.

Would you be able to point me to info, or a thread here that describes what is involved?

I would assume that the hardest part of dropping the gear case is to put it back together to that the gear shift mechanism works properly?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by searanger View Post
            I have a 2006 Yamaha F90 4 stroke ~ 410 hours.

For some time I have noticed what sounds like subtle belt squealing from the outboard.

I don't know if this happens at higher speeds at all, but I am only able to hear it at *****ing speeds - and only occasionally.

Is this noise coming from the timing belt, or is there a separate alternator belt somewhere on this outboard?

Thanks!
            I have this same asympton: significant and annoying squeeling especially at low RPMs. Lubing of the drive shaft bushing didnt have any effect on this noice!!! However the noise does not come from belt area, but from the lower part. So I suspect is the defected or unaligned bushing.

Should I try to change the drive shaft bushing and have Yamaha improved this part? Any ideas are appreaciated.

Comment

Working...
            X