LP fuel Pump ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP fuel Pump ???

As you may have read, I have a 2001 F115TLRZ and I am having power loss. Initial thoughts from most posts I've read and people I have spoke with is this is a fuel restriction issue. I don't have a way to check fuel pressure, so I removed the injectors and sent them to be cleaned, I replaced the filter between the LP fuel pump and the VST, the VST filter was clean when I inspected it and I changed out the fuel/water separator. From the all of the posts I have read, it sounds as if clogged fuel injectors are most likely to be the culprit since the filters are all good. Of the two fuel pumps on this engine, which is most likely to fail? The LP or HP? I know that's a difficult question, but I'm curious as to what happens "most of the time". Also, the problem did not start gradually. I was running WOT and all of a sudden the motor started to lose RPMs and bog down. I took it out of gear for a few seconds and then a fast idle is all I got from then on. Am I on the right track with the injectors or does it sound like a pump issue or could it be even more severe? thanks in advance??

If the VST and filters were clean the injectors should be ok.

Did the primer bulb collapse? Is the hose the same age as the motor? Take a fuel sample? You checked the 10 micron water separating filter and underhood filter?

In your case the first thing I would try would be a new hose & bulb on a test tank. Gonna rule out the ant-siphon valve, tank sock, air leaks etc.

11 years on a LP pump is a lot. You can test the LP pump by unbolting it from the engine and pumping the primer bulb while plugging the outlet. Leak = bad diphragm.

High pressure pump has a generic automotive style schrader valve test port.
    Your local garage can test it, pump runs for 4 seconds or so when you cycle the ignition to run.

Good luck.

I have no idea of the life expectancy of the HP pump, but it should last a long time if it gets clean fuel, probably longer than the LP pump.
    Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
    16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

The bulb does not stay hard and the filter between the LP pump and VST was pretty dirty when I saw a new one to compare it to.

Comment

best thing to do is pick up a Yamaha service manual for your motor and the proper equipment to test things. Makes troubleshooting and repairs quick and almost painless

Comment

Try switching to a portable fuel tank and see if you have the same symptoms. Could be water in the tank..

Comment

No water in gas. The filter before my LP pump did not show water in the gas.

Comment

Working...
            X