Fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump

The 2012 season is well under way. My trusted 2001 25hp ELHZ is again in service. I was wondering though, how many years/hours of service should I expect from the fuel pump? Do I replace the whole think or just the diaphragm?
    Thanks!

Well, my motor is a 1999 Yamaha 90C, and I got to wondering the same thing regarding the life of the fuel pump...so bought an entire new pump($50) about a year ago and installed it on my motor, keep the old one(which was still working fine) in my boat tool box for a spare!...I've done similar with my water pump, thermostat and pressure control valve. The whole idea is to replace these normal maintenance items Before the fail! Good Luck!

Comment

Think of the fuel pump as the same on your vehicle....eventually it will go out. I just replaced the fuel pump on my 2007 (got it brand new in '09), because fuel pump went out on me in the middle of the ocean. You can replace the diaphram and gaskets, however it may never seal properly and u could have some leakage. You will only save about $10 to $15 by doing that. Best to just replace the entire pump if you can. It's a really easy removal and installation. Also it depends on the fuel you use in your motor, if it contains ethanol then the pump is more likely to give out on you faster ur to the fact that ethanol eats at all the parts on your motor. I kept my old pump and replaces the parts to keep on hand as a spare! Don't wanna be stuck in the ocean again with no fuel pump! Good luck!
      Carolina Skiff 16' JVX
      50 Yamaha TLR

Comment

Fuel pump

Thanks you guys. Good advise. I will be replacing the water and fuel pumps, along with the timing belt and pcv, as she is 11 years old now, yet only 460 hrs.
        Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X