Yamaha 115 4 stroke oil warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 4 stroke oil warning

I have a 2003 115 4 stroke (F115TLRB). Since I purchased it I have had a chronic oil warning/signal issue. Warning actuates at any time for no known reason. 90% of time it actuates at engine start but can actuate at any time engine is running. Thermostat was changed years ago, oil pump and sensors all checked. Yamaha indicated that oil level must be maintained below full line. That has not helped either. Engine has less than 50 hours on it in 9 years. Engine has never over heated. Always mainted by Yamaha dealer. Service cannot find problem. About to use motor as auxiliary anchor. Any suggestions?

Have you tried another ecu?

Comment

have you tried actually trouble shooting?

Comment

Yamaha 115 4 stroke ol warnng

ECU & Trouble Sootng.....no clue what you are suggestng...we have done everythng suggested by Yamaha.....

Comment

Sounds like you have no idea if it is a oil alarm or an overheat alarm, as you talk about stats being changed.
          Do you have gauges that will indicate what the alarm is?

About 6 hours a year means it sits most of the time, when was the last time you changed oil and filter?
          Has the oil pressure been tested to make sure it is not a problem?
          Have you checked head temperatures (with a temp gun)when alarm sounds?
          Have you tried to isolate the different sensors when alarm sounds?

Just saying you have tried everything Yamaha recommends does not tell us anything about what all you have done so far.

If the alarm is going off without any real problems the the computer (ECU) may have a problem. Did the shop try a different one to see if that solved problem?

Comment

over temp= alarm
            low oil pressure = alarm
            high oil pressure = alarm
            low battery voltage= alarm
            quick trip with the lap top will tell what is alarming.

Comment

115 4 stroke oil warning

Just a clarification based on comments received. The 115 4 stroke does not have an ECU...one model year too early for this feature...at least that is what I have been told....it is the oil warnng light and not the engine overheat light. The thermostat was changed per Yamaha because they originally felt with low hours the engine oil was being contaminated with gas. And finally, the oil warning has been going off for 9 years. This year was the worst of all the years and the boating season is just starting. It is in fact the first year that I was able to duplicate the warning light for a service center. They then checked sending unit, oil pump etc. and found nothing wrong. That is when Yamaha said the engine should not be filled to the full line with oil. The engine has been maintained every year with new oil, filter etc by a Yamaha dealer. Expect a visit from Yamaha rep soon....keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

2003 F115TLRB Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram and Parts

#1 is listed as ECU

If they monitored oil pressure while oil alarm sounded and it was not the problem, then please let us know what they finally come up with

Comment

based on you ECU comments I would use the yamaha dealer locator and find a dealership with a master tech and get this issue resolved.
                  the US market F115 was never carbed and was EFI always and always had an ECU.

Comment

115 4 stroke oil issue

My misunderstanding....I will be checking with dealer concerning ECU...stay tuned...thanks

Comment

Wondering if this problem was ever resolved. Sounds exactly like an issue I've been fighting with a 2001 F115. No problems at all with this engine until four years ago when I got the low oil pressure warning after starting. Shut engine down and restarted and no alarm. No issues the rest of the season and then the next year it happened a couple of times. Each year the problem has increased in frequency until now and it was happening all the time when I went out for a test run. The engine has been regularly serviced and the mechanic couldn't repeat the problem in the shop until last month. He disconnected and reconnected the applicable wiring and the alarm stopped but came back when I had the boat in the water.

I will most likely be back at the shop to try to take care of this but would like to give some suggestions to try to cut down on debug time. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comment

Yamaha 115 4 stroke oil light issue

I also have 2003 115 4S with the oil light issue. It does not do this every time, maybe 10 % of time. And only on a cold start. Never on a hot start.
                        I replaced the oil sending switch, which had no effect.
                        Has anyone ever noticed a common denominator such as whether or not the engine has been tilted up or left down before this happens ? My theory is that maybe an air pocket is forming somewhere around the sending unit. (I know this is far fetched, but I'm lost on this one).

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help.

FYI.......There are threads on other forums with this same issue.(the hull truth)

Mark

Comment

I'm in the "same boat" so to speak 2002 F115 . Recently had the oil warning come on when flushing the outboard at home. Then once again when I first launched but nothing more. We did replace the seals between the powerhead and sump but still go the alarm. This time around have not been able to replicate the issue for the tech and also no errors on YDIS.

My thoughts were that with higher hours ( 800 ) my oil pump may be worn ( it is apparently a known problem and Yamaha had a recall on it ) but MJL Boater your engine only has 50.
                          Last edited by JONSNELL; 07-15-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X