2010 50hp 4-stroke to a 60hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 50hp 4-stroke to a 60hp

I recently had a person tell me I could remove an air restrictor from my 50 yamaha and effectively have a 60hp motor. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I currently am getting 5400 rpms with the current prop so I have some room to spare in that regard. The person telling me this says he has been running this way on his 08' for two years.

Shouldn't run without the air silencer, could result in a lean running condition.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have the same engine, and have read of others doing this conversion.

I do have some reservations, removing the restrictor is easy enough, my fear is that the ecm is not capable of adjusting to the increase in airflow, therefore creating a lean condition.

Being a veteran auto mechanic, i would not hesitate to do a similar conversion on an car, as the fuel management system is capable of correcting the fuel trim for the increase in airflow.

I see a throttle position sensor, crank position sensor, and what looks to be a manifold absolute pressure sensor. What i do not see is an oxygen sensor.
      I would think the map sensor would see the change in airflow and the ecm would correct the fuel curve.

Anyone out there to confirm this?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X