Propellor size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propellor size

I have a 2000 Yamaha Southwind SR665 with 175 Saltwater Series with 14 1/4 X 17 M Prop; all standard I believe when sold.
    Accelleration is excellent reaching very fast speed appearing to peak at 5999 RPM quickly without reving any further.
    Has the 175 a speed limiter (6000RPM)?
    Would a 19 pitch M prop bring the revs down to safe specs but not too low at WOT?What RPM would I expect?
    Has anyone any suggestions about using a non Yamaha prop 3 or 4 blade?
    Would a four blade improve reverse thrust , as reverse response is quite appauling with the setup (lots of froth little grab for some time - engine set as low on transom as it can go)?
    There are other issues with wandering and gentle porpusing but I want to sort prop out first.

19 pitch would reduce wot rpm's by about 400 rpm's, hole shot may not be as good. 4 blade generally gives better hole shot and less rpm's at wot and normally lees top speed, wont give more reverse thrust.
    Rev liniter is about 6200 rpm's on that engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks Boats.net.
      Pity can't improve reverse thrust, I am a cautious driver with reasonable judgement, only am dissapointed when trying to abort a drive on trailer landing and the wind/tide makes angle approach have to be perfect.
      I think my tacho (yamaha) won't read higher so do you think revs may even be to 6200 rpm. so 19 is wiser anyway for a boat of this size and weight?

Comment

If the rev limiter is activated engine will misfire, should be able to hear it misfiring.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X