New Yamaha F115LA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yamaha F115LA question

Since I've had the boat on two separate occasions there have been impacts to the lower unit while slowly running. One I believe was a submerged log and the other was a sandy bottom in too shallow of water. Both times immediately after the impacts the engine shut down. I was able to restart each time after it happened with no ill effects. Motor performs normal. I assume the prop was put in a bind momentarily. My question is, what sensor is notifying the ECM to shut down power to the engine? Could it be low oil pressure? It appears to be a safety device to protect the engine and lower unit but I can't find any info about it in the service manual.

No there is no shut down feature for impact, prop may have been in a bind.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for your response. I may have not made myself very clear. I'm pretty sure the prop was in a bind, and now that I know there is no specific cut-out switch for the prop specifically when it is in a bind, what caused the engine to shut down? Did the prop being in a bind cause say any other sensor to trip and shut the engine down? According to the service manual the ECM stops ignition and fuel injection when engine overheats, over rev's or upon low oil pressure.

Comment

The engine is coupled directly to the propeller, you most likely stalled the engine. The only thing you could have done is spin the hub out of the prop, but you would have since noticed an increase in rpm, but very little forward motion.

Comment

Working...
        X