Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100 Drive shaft bushing

Hello Folks,

I've seen lots of good information on here. This is my first post.

I replaced the water pump in my 2000 F100, when I removed the lower unit pieces of rubber came off with it, apparently from the drive shaft bushing. There is some mild scoring on the shaft where this bushing rides. It took me 4 hours to free up and remove the circle clip below the bushing. That was the easy part. Now, how do I remove the bushing? My local dealer was clueless telling me, " I've never had to replace one of those". It sits about 8 inches up inside the middle casing. I'm pretty sure it comes out the bottom as that is where the circle clip is.

Any suggestions from this forum are appreciated in advance,

Yes it comes out the bottom, have to use a small slide hammer to pull it out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Yes it comes out the bottom, have to use a small slide hammer to pull it out.
      Thank You. I didn't have a slide hammer, but my local machine shop did. 15 minutes and 4 slams of slide and it was out of there. I had considered reassembling things as is, after seeing the old bushing I'm glad I didn't. It was toast! Rubber melted, bushing blue and yellow, cracked, obviously overheated. I used a Dremel tool with a flexible shaft to clean out the bore...now I know what a dentist must feel like at the end of the day, it's a long reach into a small space.

Which brings me to my next question. Should this bushing have cooling water on it? There is a small hole just above the bushing, perpendicular to the water tube, but I couldn't get any communication between them. I tried to rod out the water tube, but ran into something just about where the bushing is located. I put it all together and filled a tub with water, then started it up. It chirped for 5-6 seconds, then quieted down once the tattle tale stream started running. There is water flowing out of a hole in the front of the lower cowling at just about where the bushing is located.

It goes back in the water tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanx again.

Comment

did you grease the bushing and shaft before installing?

Comment

Yes, I used the Yamalube grease. Thanx.

Comment

Working...
          X