Fuel Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Issue

OK here we go...........I have a 2009 Carolina Skiff 16JVX that I bought brand New 3 years ago. Since the second time I ran it I have a fuel problem. Ethenol is the worst thing ever for a boat motor. I have a Yamaha 2-Stroke 50-TLR. I have rebuilt the carburators 6 TIMES in 3 years! Just this past off-season I completely cleaned my fuel system, cleaneed the fuel tank, fuel line(replaced) all the way to the Fuel/water seperator, replaced the filter on the fuel/water seperator, replaced the priming bulb, replaced the fuel lines in the motor, put new filter in the fuel filter and replaced the fuel pump.
    The fuel pump was replaced because i weas out on the water and the enigine was starving itself of gas and would not crank. My FIRST idea was that it was the prtiming bulb because it was not stay hard nd was even hard to get the bulb hard in the first place. However, i went to a local dealership and told the repair guy all the things that i had replaced and he stated that it had to be the fuel pump. Also told me that the bulb isn't going to remain hard, as long as it doesn't go completely flat that it was fine. So, I spent $47 and replaced the fuel pump and got an new fuel filter and replaced it also.
    So I tested the boat in my yard and it is very hard to get the boat to idle. Priming bulb still staying hard after I prime it and cuts off within 30 seconds of starting motor. However, the more priming that i do the longer the boat will idle......so i have no idea whats going on here.
    Next i took the boat to run it in some water and again the motor did the same thing in idle. Once i got it out on the water it ran like a top but if I put it back down in neutral the motor cuts off pretty fast. I ran the motor a good 20 mins after i primed it only one time before getting it in the water and it did not stall at all once it was going.............
    Any suggestions of what this could be and how I can fix it would be appreciated!
    My first guess would be that the motor is set to idle to low, however the motor revs realitivily high upon cranking and then slows down till it stalls itself out.....
    Just to let everyone know I am now running non ethenol fuel and also adding SeaFoam to my tanks of fuel. I do not use stabil.....
    Last edited by keithsturkie82@gmail.com; 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM. Reason: Add Information
    Carolina Skiff 16' JVX
    50 Yamaha TLR

Probably need to remove and clean carbs again. Run a compression test to make sure all the fuel problems hasn't damage engine. Some of the Carolina Skiff has a quick disconnect fitting at gas tank and primer bulb mounted between gas tank and fuel/water filter, Replace disconnect fitting with hose barb fitting and move primer bulb between f/w filter and engine. Need to use non-Ethanol gas if available, store boat so the under console type gas tank is not in direct sunlight and use fuel stabilizer in gas and drain gas out of carbs from drain screws before store it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Fuel problem

Had a similar problem last year with my 200 HPDI. Engine would start and run after priming bulb, but would cut out after a few minutes at idle unless you primed bulb again. If you took it out on water and ran the rpm's up it would run fine up until about 85-90% of power, then it would cut back and stall. If you reprimed bulb it would start right up. Turned out to be an airleak with the fuel/water seperator. Check all you connections and fuel lines for a poossible airleak.

Comment

***!! That sounds exactly like the smae problem that I have been having! I will be sure to check the fuel lines and all the connectons, esp at the fuel/water seperator because I just installed a new seperator. Thanks for the input!
        Carolina Skiff 16' JVX
        50 Yamaha TLR

Comment

Check the o-ring very carefully for any pinholes and make sure you apply a little grease or oil to it refore re-installing so you don't damage it. Make sure it is good and snug to prevent any airleaks. Good luck!

Comment

and if you have a clear white plastic tank mounted where sunlight can get it, the tank fails.
            feeds goo to the fuel system.
            I have replaced over 50 tanks in the past 2 years or so.
            draw tubes swell and flake, tanks get brown syrupy goo, the it coats the fuel lines and everytime you clean the carbs the issue reoccurs shortly.

Comment

I do in fact have a clear gas tank......however it is under my center console so it never gets direct sunlight. Also every off season, I empty the tank and clean it with fresh gas and then let it dry and store it in my shed. Howvwer, I believe that i may need to think about replacing or cleaning the fuel line and I am guessing the draw tubes may need replacing too. What is the best way to clean the fuel line?? Can I just flush it with fresh fuel, can I blow compressed air tho the hose (disconnect it at the fuel/water seperator)........the bulb us brand new along with the hoses that connect to the quick disconnect at the motor and connector at the fuel/water seperator........not sure the best wy to go at the cleaning of all the hoses.....air or flush with fresh fuel.......
              As far as the carbs, I clean them at the beginning of the boating season and at the end. Run time is roughly May thru October.....was always told it was the ethenol that gunked the carbs but I also heard that it will damage the fuel lines too.....so should I replace all the fuel lines to the motor, all the fuel lines on the motor too......if i replace the tank, then I am gonna replace all of it.....
              Input please.....
              Aslo @rodbolt17....are you a certified yamaha machanic?
              Carolina Skiff 16' JVX
              50 Yamaha TLR

Comment

As far as the pick up line.....how do I know which one to buy?? Size, type, length etc...
                Carolina Skiff 16' JVX
                50 Yamaha TLR

Comment

Aslo @rodbolt17....are you a certified yamaha machanic?

yes, google yamaha master technician under the yamaha wbsite there is a list of all the yamaha master technicians.
                  I am the Thomas at joe's marine in wanchese NC.
                  what we do at tank replacement is either go back with an aluminium tank or have the top shop make a console cover so sunlight cannot get to the plastic tank.
                  as far as cleaning lines, I have not had much success doing that, I now replace them if suspect.

Comment

I wish I was a certified boat mechanic.....I am a mechanic but my specialties are air, hydraulics, pumps, pressurized systems, valves, boilers, etc....
                    So can I just replace the pick up line by itself to see if it helps?? If so how do I know right size and type?? As far as main fuel line is there any way to tell if ethanol has damaged it?
                    Carolina Skiff 16' JVX
                    50 Yamaha TLR

Comment

I would pull and inspect the draw tube to see if it is needing replacement and what size it is.
                      Fuel lines inspection would be cut a small piece off and split it open to look at the inside.
                      But you said you just replaced them, so do not know why you would need to do that at this time..

I would monitor fuel pressure/vacuum to see if you can find a problem and then chase that if there is a problem with the supply.
                      Temporary install a piece of clear tubing after pump to see if you find air bubbles heading to carbs( sucking air)

Comment

I suspect your 50 is similar to our 90 tlr. Each carb has a main jet and pilot jet. The pilot jet provides fuel for idle and is very small. If contortions with the idle and air adjustment provide only marginal improvement, I suspect they're clogged. After my third time through the carbs, I was able to clear them and now ours runs fine. I suspect you will get by with only the plate and float chamber gaskets and misc o-rings. I also suggest being judicial with the screwdriver on the jet and clean in place over breaking. Carb cleaner, compressed air and a cold six help.

2006 and Later 2-stroke 50TLR Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

I also suggest http://carolinaskiffowner.com/.

Also, if you still have crap in the rest of the system, you'll be back at square one before long.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                        X