Overtemp alarm and squeaking noise on 07 F225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtemp alarm and squeaking noise on 07 F225

Some of you may remember that last year I was having an issue with the over temp alarm coming on when on idle or moving slowly. During the off season I replaced the water pump and impeller, the thermostats and the poppet valve. For the 1st 3 trips this year I had no problem at all with the issue.

Then 2 trips ago I noticed a squeaking noise when on idle and shortly after the over temp alarm goes off. I turn the boat off and then back on and the alarm goes away for a while. I have a Lowrance Gen2 and can monitor the engine temp. The engine temp appears to be in normal range.

Anyway, this past trip the alarm keeps going off so I keep shutting off and restarting. About the 5th time I am about to shut off the engine and the squeaking stops and the alarm stops. The squeaking comes back a little while later but no alarm the rest of the trip. I'm about to the point where I'm going to bite the bullet and have a mechanic look at my outboard. Before doing so though I'd like to know if anyone can lend some thoughts on what to look at myself or should I just have a mechanic take a look?

Need to remove gearcase and inspect water pump, get some Yamaha WR no.2 grease, 90790-74046-00 and grease the upper drive shaft splines and seal area below splines and grease area where drive shaft bushing in mid housing contacts drive shaft. Check thermostats are working properly and check pressure control valve.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X