Reinstalling Lower Unit on 90hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling Lower Unit on 90hp

Hi, I have rebuilt my lower end on my 1985 90hp. When I went to reinstall it, it went back together fine but I cannot for the life of me work out how they mate up. I have tried in neutral at top and bottom. No forward. Tried both in forward, now forward in neutral and neutral is reverse. Have tried both in reverse and can't get forward. Last try was 1/2 way between neutral and reverse at top end and neutral in lower end. I then reset the cable at the throttle end and I have forward as soon as the lever is pushed forward and no reverse. I gave up with this result cause at least I have forward and neutral. I don't get it. I just rebuilt the whole lower end, so I know how it all works mechanically. Why don't they line up neutral to neutral with lower end and the shift mechanism. Thanks for any assistance.

It is a good chance it has to do with you rebuilding the lower unit. As it should be OK to bolt up with both in neutral or both in gear and should not have to readjust cables unless they were out of adjustment before you took it apart

Comment

Yes I agree. I was after some thoughts on correct procedure or any tips or tricks. With the lower end off. The gearing works fine. Neutral is in the middle and forward and reverse are either way. When I bolt it up there are issues. Thanks again.

Comment

Did it shift properly before?
        Or did it have some kind of shifting problems causing you to do the rebuild?
        What did you have to do on the rebuild of lower unit?

Do you think the shift linkage is not moving enough through the range from the con*****er or the shift shaft down to lower unit?
        Is that shaft movement up and down or twist?

Comment

I had to replace the shifter and slider. All gearing was good. It really can only go back in one way. Can the shift rod be burred and jump position. The gear system is a twist gear change type. Thanks.

Comment

might look to be sure the control is moving linkage as far as it needs to , and then see if all that movement is being transferred to the lower unit.
            Have heard of shift shafts rusting enough so that the metal flexes and not move the gear shifter in lower unit

Comment

Working...
            X