First time Poster / Soon to be First time Yamaha owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Poster / Soon to be First time Yamaha owner

First time poster here - I am buying a boat with a (I believe - haven't confirmed the year model) an 87 Yamaha 70hp 2-stroke motor on it. Owner says it runs fine but hasn't been started in over a year and will most likely need carb cleaning / work. I have watched a couple of carb cleaning vids on youtube and it looks straight forward. Not much different that and ATV Carb actually.

Does anyone have any pointers are advice for this motor regarding carb cleaning? I want to try and save the expense of taking it into a shop to have it done.

Worst case scenario - what would a Yamaha mechanic charge to clean up the carbs?

Here is a pic of the motor (for reference)

Last edited by BIGKAHUNA; 05-18-2012, 11:10 PM.

Need to have compression checked, check gearcase oil for water or metal on drain screw magnet. Suggest getting a service manual to help with repairs and proper setup of carbs, but yes carbs are easy to clean.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Need to have compression checked, check gearcase oil for water or metal on drain screw magnet. Suggest getting a service manual to help with repairs and proper setup of carbs, but yes carbs are easy to clean.
      Where can I get a service manual for it? Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Maybe just drain each carb float chamber and then run the motor...maybe your carbs don't need cleaning...spend your time and $$$ on other preventive maintenance items, like installing a Walmart/Attwood Fuel/Water Separater type canister filter($28), easy 2 screw instal on transom, save lots of fuel related problems. Good Luck!

Comment

On the compression check - where can I get a tester and how much do they cost? What range psi should the compression be in?

Comment

You get a tester at automotive stores, compression should be no more than 10% difference between each cylinder.
            Can get manuals at www.yamaha-motor.com
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X